I have put together a list of the best tools for woodworking in 2018. Some of it is expensive, I know, I’ve had to save up for it. Table saws are going to probably be your biggest expense. I wouldn’t give up my cabinet saw for anything….other than another cabinet saw. The dust filtration system that I connect to it is great for keeping the garage clean. Smaller table saws are good too but the work area of the table can be too small when cutting anything of size.
The thickness planer I use every time I do a project. It narrows down the material and provides a clean flat surface to work with. I don’t recommend getting anything smaller that a 13″. There is much more expensive planers out there into the thousands of dollars but I haven’t found a need for one yet, I just really want one. They are quieter and usually have a bigger cutting area.
The biscuit cutter or plate jointer is a fun tool. It allows me to put all the pieces together when I make the Thin Blue Line Flag as seen on this website. They don’t have to be expensive as the pretty much do one thing. You can find them under $200.
I have a Jet Dust Collector. The bigger you go the more you can do with them. The bigger ones, and more expensive obviously, allow for a ducting system to be put in place as well as attach to your equipment. The smaller ones easily hook up to your equipment and can be moved around, although their sucking power is minimal for a ducting system.
This list is not a end all be all list of tools but it’s a great start for putting together a woodworking shop. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Grizzly G1023RL 3 HP Cabinet Left Tilting Table Saw
- This is a great average cost cabinet saw. I like where the power on/off is located as it is similar to mine. It allows me you bump it off with my hip when I’m holding a piece and afraid it will kick back if I let go to stop the blade. It has a precision ground table top with precision ground miter gauge. All of this together and you have a nice surface to work on that will greatly reduce vibrations when cutting.
Grizzly G0690 Cabinet Table Saw with Riving Knife
- This saw is a little more expensive but for the price you get a larger table, heavy duty trunnions, a 3 hp motor with triple belt system. From experience I know you will absolutely love using a saw with a 220v motor as it has the power to cut through the thickest, hardest wood. My saw has a single belt which squeals loudly for a second when it slips. This 3 belt system is awesome and slippage is not a problem. 4.6 out of 5 Stars on Amazon reviews.
Baileigh TS-1248P-52 Professional Cabinet Style Table Saw
- This is a 12″ goliath saw, it has a table that will hold a full sheet of plywood and a 5 hp motor. It has a max rip cut of 52″ AWESOME!
- It has an industrial RIP fence with digital display to ensure precise measurements. It is a heavy weight, weighing in at over 700 lbs but this saw will last a lifetime.
Shop Fox W1851 Hybrid Cabinet Table Saw with Extension Table
- This saw is on the cheaper side of Cabinet Saws but by no means cheap in quality. It has a 2 hp motor and can be wired for 110/220v. This saw has a blade guard with a hose attachment that keeps saw dust off the work area and places it in the cabinet. It has precision ground trunnions like the bigger saws. 3.4 out of 5 reviews.
For those of you with limited space these saws may be a better option. With the quality offered in these table saws you can still get great cuts and performance like a cabinet saw.
Craftsman Evolv 15 Amp 10 In. Table Saw 28461
- Nice little table saw to store in the garage. It offers a 10″ blade and 110/120 ac power. Lighter weight means this saw is easier to move into place for work. Free shipping as well! 3.9 out of 5 stars
Rockwell RK7241S Table Saw with Laser
- A little more pricey but you get what you pay for. This saw is a 10″ with larger table and a saw dust collector bag underneath to help with all the mess. This saw offers a slide out table for a maximum rip length of 30″ and is collapsible for easy movement. 3.9 out of 5 stars.
SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10″ Portable Worm Drive Table Saw with 25″ Rip Capacity
- This saw offers the first ever brass geared worm drive with 5 hp motor. 25″ rip capacity with 3 1/2 cut depth. This saw is portable and compact for easy movement and weighs only 49 lbs. This saw is for those with very limited space and no need for cutting large pieces such as plywood. That being said it will cut large pieces but is ideal for small work areas.
Biscuit Cutter/Plate Jointer
DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner
- This is the biscuit cutter that I use. I really love it. I am sure most brands of biscuit cutters are great as they only serve one purpose, cutting slots for biscuits.
VonHaus 8.5 Amp Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner with 4″ Tungsten Carbide Tipped Blade, Adjustable Angle and Dust Bag
Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner. This joiner offers 5.6 amp 11,000 rmp motor
SHOP FOX W1727 1 HP Dust Collector
JET 708642 1 HP Dust Collector
Jet DC-1100VX-5M Dust Collector 1.5HP 1PH 115/230-Volt 5-Micron Bag Filter Kit
The above list includes tools that I own. I have included a variety of price ranges in this list for most budgets. Any of these items will bring years of happiness and joy with your woodworking. Please feel free to leave a comment or question. I always try to answer comments or questions within 24 hours. I would purchase any of the products shown and have no preference for any. I do tend to lean toward higher HP motors as I think they will last longer because they are more capable of cutting through harder woods.